This soup has lots of vitamin A and C which can boost the immune system.
Rich and creamy with no dairy.
Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash Soup
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger (or more to taste)
1 lb butternut squash, peeled and diced
1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 medium Yukon Gold or russet potato, peeled and diced
6 cups water, chicken stock or vegetable stock
Optional: 1 lb peeled and chopped carrots can be substituted for sweet potatoes or added for more flavor
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in heavy soup pan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add ginger and stir together until fragrant.
- Add squash and potatoes along with water or stock and bring to a simmer.
- Add salt to taste, reduce heat, cover and simmer until all ingredients are tender.
- Puree soup in blender or food mill, in batches, until velvety smooth.
- Return to soup pot, stir and heat through adjusting salt and pepper to taste.
Can be made ahead and refrigerated. Freezes well.